Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mushrooms and Beets

I was looking at my new "Everyday Food" magazine and came across their featured vegetable of the month. It happens to be beets. I asked my husband if he liked beets. To my surprise, he did said yes. I have never eaten a beet nor have I cooked a beet. My Mom never cooked a beet for us. Did she not like them or did my Grandmother not like them? This conversation made me think of all the foods out there that I have not tried because my Mom or Dad did not like them. My Dad does not like mushrooms so we never really ate them. I don't like mushrooms so my children don't eat them. Does this make me a bad parent? I don't think so but I am looking for a good beet recipe.....anyone got one?

2 comments:

  1. Lori! This is so funny, and I know exactly what you mean. In fact, this is why I do not have a beet recipe to offer. All of my beet memories revolve around the bright pink pickled beets I served at the Skylark Diner in the late 80s. My mom didn't like brussels sprouts. I don't make those. She didn't like turnips. I don't make those. It's funny! You're brave and wise to break into a new food. Please let me know if you find a good beet favorite. They're so darn pretty! A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misread your first sentence as "feared vegetable of the month"... wonder what kind of Freudian slip that was? Made the rest of the post an interesting read :o)

    ReplyDelete